Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bienvenidos a Espana!

Hello everyone!
Sorry it has taken so long to get this up and running but it has been one crazy week. I'm just going to try and summarize what's been going on so far. All of my flights went pretty well, a few hiccups here and there and that's traveling for you. Just a little note for anyone who ever flies to the London Heathrow airport, the airport closes at like 10:00 p.m. We were kind of confused at how an international airport could close but we found stuff to do. Once we finally arrived in Granada Vanessa and I realized that our bags weren't there. Everything ended up being fine because they arrived a few flights later but it was just like of course I was one of the people who lost their luggage.


Driving to our apartment was a magical experience. That's when it really hit me that we're in Spain and I'm going to be living here for four months. I was quiet the whole drive just trying to absorb everything around me. It kind of looks a little like an Arizona or desert type climate. But then you see the mountains and it truly does take your breath away.


My host mom is Carmen, she is amazing. She has been hosting students for about fourteen years now so she is a pro. Everything she has cooked so far has been really amazing. My favorite so far has been fried cauliflower, it was so different but seriously one of the best foods I have ever tried. There are three of us living in the apartment which is nice because most of the time at least one of us understands her haha. She truly is a sweetheart and I feel really blessed. Surprisingly a lot of people have host moms that aren't as catering or as social as Carmen. 


We have done a lot of orientation activities with our group which has been really nice because they're free and you get to see the city. One of the first days we went on a bus tour of the city. It was incredible to see the city like that, mostly because there is so much to see it would be hard to see on foot. When we went up in the mountains it reminded me so much of California. It really looks like when you go up to Burbank and you can look out over L.A or when you go to the Getty. We also went on a tour of the Albaycin which is the part of town where the gypsies live. It is really beautiful because all the houses are white and the streets are super narrow and twist and turn a lot. We went to a tea house there which was super neat. Also when we went to the Albaycin we went to the mirador de san nicolas which is a beautiful spot to view the Alhambra. 


So far the excitement has been very overwhelming and I really haven't had time to be homesick. Everything is so new and we've been meeting so many people it is hard to sit down and think about how much you miss home. I think I have adjusted very well so far to life in Spain and I am already having the time of my life. 


Look at all my pictures! I'll try to update this more often. Ciao!





No comments:

Post a Comment